Replacing a Live Server
This page tries to outline the basic steps for replacing a live server, using the Rattail deployment framework.
This is mostly a placeholder page for now.
Prepare a new server which will become the replacement.
Prepare the server bundle within your control environment.
Bootstrap the new server.
- Synchronize all (relevant) databases and files from the (current/old) live server to the new server.
- Optionally, perform additional backup(s) for the live server.
- Stop all relevant services (Apache, Samba, Rattail daemons) on live server.
- Synchronize all relevant data once more. (Idea being, the first sync and backup might have taken quite a while.)
- Change hostname of current/old live server, if necessary, then power off and/or remove from network.
- Ensure new server has correct hostname and IP address, reconfiguring/rebooting as necessary.